Friday, October 17, 2008

A Special Blessing

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law hosted a blessing for her unborn baby girl, Jillian. Women of strong faith in her life sat around sharing stories, encouragement, and spoke blessings upon both of them. It was truly a moving experience. Since I have been touched deeply by some specific truths of mothering, I shared with her the following:



Since becoming a mother, myself, I have gained a new and invaluable perspective of the most important relationship a person can be apart of. How much closer I am to understand God the father’s unfailing love for His children! I look at my children with a deep and profound love, amazement, commitment, and hope for their future. I pray for them and their choices - that they will listen to my voice and benefit from my cautions and wisdom. Is this not the same way God thinks of us? Just like any parent, His heart is torn when we choose to disobey, ignore his warnings, fuss, whine, and complain amongst our countless blessings. Yet when we choose to trust and obey, to listen and accept his authority in our lives, we enjoy the right relationship with Him as it was intended. He rejoices that His children honor Him. Amanda, I want to challenge you to continuously look to God for “parenting lessons” – from the One whom we receive all of those wonderful traits from, being made in His image. When you become discouraged, remember your own relationship as God’s daughter. Pray for the girls just as Jesus prays for our return to a right relationship. Rejoice with and praise them when your daughters make good choices that honor you as well. We can know no greater joy than to see our children obey us, as training for their obedience to God! May you grow in your immeasurably important role as mother to Anne-Marie and Jillian and daughter to the King.



Yesterday marked the birthday of Jillian Danielle Baker. For a moment, I was a able to reflect on the amazing miracle from a different perspective. This baby has been "assigned" to this particular passionate family. From now on, she has such an important role in it. Among many others, this is the cousin my kids will grow up with! Jillian, welcome to the family! We are thrilled to be your cheerleaders through life and can't wait to see what God has in store for you... A special blessing indeed.



1 comment: