Thursday, March 21, 2013

Two Reasons Why I Love Taking My Kids Out in Public

Sometimes five feels like a lot.  Sometimes it feels like not so many.  When I am flying solo, it almost definitely feels like a lot.  Like I'm scampering around the house or wherever I am with my limbs working on four completely separate tasks all while herding my sweet little cats around.  For this reason, I don't usually make a habit of stretching myself with the five out and about all alone (depending on what it is of course).  I try to run errands "after mommy working hours" or while one or two or three are in school.  But if Scott is with me, that's a whole different story.  It's not even - we're still outnumbered, but being out as a family feels more manageable for sure.

That being said, I was reminded tonight of two reasons why I love taking my kids out in public - whether it be just 6 or all 7 of us.  The first one is kind of superficial.  The second is not.

We went out to dinner at a restaurant that was participating in the boys' school's fundraiser.  Some of the teachers and staff were "waiters," and the boys loved seeing the familiar faces and jesting a bit about their new jobs.  We decided to eat outside on the patio area (yes, in 63 degree weather).  And seriously, the kids did fine.  Sure, they chewed a few times with their mouths open, Carter got busted for standing on his chair, Levi dropped a fork, Gracie said boogers to someone visiting our table, Hayden yelled his portion of the conversation, and Noah had to be reminded a dozen times to turn around and eat; but really, they did fine.  I wasn't concentrating on that though.  I was too busy thinking about how we practice table manners every night at home for this very occasion.  Home dinners are the dress rehearsals; eating at a restaurant is like showtime!  So I noticed our practiced manners going out the window.  Everyone else saw well-mannered, quiet, polite, and kind children who were doing a fantastic job eating in public!  And they told us!  Not to pat our own backs, but this happens quite often.  I know my own expectations and most of the time the kids know them too: we practice things, walk through situations, prep them before.  It seems to work, and they really do great!  But too often I forget that they are just kids and they will screw up table manners and most other things along the way.  Being in correction mode blinds me from their successes.  Going out in public to eat with all these little guys is tough, but I love doing it since most of the time, some stranger pays them a compliment and I am reminded of the truth that my kids are awesome!!  They are learning, and I am so proud of their effort.  My main focus of parenting isn't behavior, but it does show a lot of what lies within.  I am thankful for these complimenters who put my mind back to where it should be.

The second reason I love taking my kids out in public is you never know what they'll say or do!  We do certain things and talk freely about topics in our own home, but maybe on the outside, people would be uncomfortable about it.  The best thing about my kids is a) they aren't aware that this dichotomy exists and b) they wouldn't care even if they did.  So tonight, sitting out on the restaurant patio right on a busy sidewalk, the kids insist on saying prayers - loudly.  When we pray before a meal, it is seldom only one prayer.  Our kids excitedly raise their hands and say, "Me! Me! Me!" We often end up bowing our heads three or four times.  Well, we got through two prayers tonight and then it was Gracie's turn.  She wanted to sing the Johnny Appleseed song prayer, "The Lord is good to me..."  Already we are somewhat of a spectacle, but then we are all holding hands and singing a thanksgiving prayer before our meal - in public.  I kid you not, there was a small crowd that stopped and peered around the corner.  Wanting to spy but not wanting to disturb.  I got a little shy since I saw them there, but the kids kept singing just as loud and proud as ever.  Praise God that they are not shy about their love of God and their offering thanksgiving to Him.  It excites me, humbles me, and gives me another bullet on my prayer list.  Lord, please keep their hearts pure and free from insecurity.  Help them to stay bold in their words and deeds that honor You and point others toward You.

My point tonight is:  I'm so proud of them.  

1 comment: