Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My FACEBOOK Hiatus

I just now made an impulsive decision.  I feel the Lord is telling me something, and I'm going to commit to it without hesitating.  

Facebook.

Some love it.  Some hate it.  I'm on the love side, but I've crept over to the "UGH!" side more and more.  It's not about the ads, the vintage postcards that flood my feed, the amount of time I spend on it, or the like and share pictures.  It's about the two lives people try to lead.  The one on facebook and the one for real.  

I try to be a healthy balance of authenticity and vulnerability along with appropriate discretion.  I'm not that afraid to share about my bad days, faults, hair-pulling moments, and the frequent exercise of apologizing to my kids.  But then of course, I'm not going to share details that aren't the vast majority's business either.  And I'm not expecting anyone else to.  I get that people want to share more good than bad, the happy times over "Man, my marriage is really difficult right now!" or whatever the big struggles are.  But I do appreciate showing an honest picture of yourself and family, something missing from so many facebook pages it seems.  (Please note that I did say try.  I'm not claiming perfection or doing the kettle/black thing here.  I'm sure I annoy plenty of people with my posts, and many might think I do exactly the thing that I'm bugged by.  It's probably inevitable.)

For awhile, it was just an annoyance.  (People call it Bragbook for a reason, I know.)  But now, it's become a heart issue for me.  The truth is, people getting praise and compliments for the life they show us when I see a different one offline, has officially "gotten to me."  It may be a form of jealousy, may be it's envy for the accolades, may be disappointment that they are squandering the chance to be an authentic, leaning-on-Jesus light who doesn't pretend.  Some of you might be thinking, "Who cares?  If you don't like what someone is posting, you can unfriend them.  Or even further, what they choose to post is none of your business."  I know that.  So I'm going to take some time away to figure it out.

I can't be away that long as many groups I'm part of rely on facebook to communicate, but I'm thinking a week or so.  And I will miss plenty!  I'm still an advocate for the connectedness that can come from this social network.  How many times have I felt part of the outside world, even as a SAHM?... plenty!  But like I said, this impulsive decision is prompted by the Boss in my life.  I hope that God reveals to me what issues need fixing in my heart.  

So, I just wanted to explain my little absence and take the opportunity to be real.  It's not easy to admit that ugliness in my heart, but I'm sure I will grow in the right areas for showing my weakness.  Love to you all and have a very blessed Easter, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Totally get it. I'd love to chat in person some time. real life stuff. <3

    ReplyDelete