Thursday, February 23, 2012

Springtime Sap

I love that memories can be linked to our environment: simple things like temperature, the wind, smells...  Your mind can put you back in another time.  And for me, there's usually a fond memory there.

Today is an abnormally gorgeous spring-y day for the month of February (just like yesterday).  I have been able to kick the kids outside to play for longer periods of time, opened up windows and doors and let the fresh air and sunlight pour in.  Even though I haven't touched cleaning products with my own hands in months (honesty is the best policy!), the house seems cleaner just with the weather's general freshness.  And this is why:

I am reminded of spring and summer days growing up as a child.  My mom may have been ironing in the kitchen, sipping iced tea while reading the newspaper, or changing loads of laundry.  But some things never changed: Dad's latest praise music purchase was playing, the house smelled like lemon scented Pledge or Pine Sol, and the back door sliders and windows were all open.

I'm smiling right now with the simplest memories of my lovely and innocent childhood.  I am a happy girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment