Thursday, May 3, 2012

Convertible Smiles


This is me.  I'm driving on a sunny, spring day in April.  Convertible.  Top down.  Music is up, and I can't help but smile.  Yep.  I'm smiling; even a giggle or two squeaked out.  I can't help myself despite being on the way to the dentist for a little filling redo from ages ago.  (Have you ever had a shot of Novocaine affect your eye?  HILARIOUS!)  I know a lunch date with my Mommy awaits me afterward. (Again, half numb face managing chopsticks?  Entertainment, right there.)  But those aren't the sole reasons for my state of happiness.  




I wouldn't dare lie to you and say that everything in my life is just peachy at the moment or ever, and that's why I'm in a good mood.  Nope.  I'll get into some of the more serious and somber happenings another time.  I got to have some lovely one on one time with my favorite guy last night, and I told him all about the convertible smiles.  I explained, "I am bursting with JOY!  I love that we're a great team, I love our marriage, the way we've been spending our time together, the level of our intimacy.  My grass is the greenest, baby!  I love that we're making plans for the future that correlate with our family mission statement.  I love that we're asking for God's wisdom and direction and He is showing up and telling us!..." My rambling continued.  I can't get over the blessings that have been repeatedly DUMPED on top of my head.  I did nothing to earn any of the things I have or the people I love.  All I can do is smile, recognize my place in the world, and humbly reply, "I love you, too, God!"

That response is Beth Moore's idea.  So the point to my smiles is my perspective, I suppose.  Despite busyness, my spiritual growth challenges, stress, and whatever else keeps joyfulness at bay, there is simply NO WAY that I can ignore all of the GOOD GOD blessings that completely overshadow everything else.  I just have to keep my eyes (lifted heavenward) in the right direction. 

It's no surprise that the joyfulness keeps other things in check.  A couple of years ago, I taught a Bible study lesson at my church on joy.  In studying and preparing, I discovered an interesting relationship between the first few sequential fruits of the Spirit.  Accepting God's love leads to joy.  If you live in joy, you experience peace as trials come.  Patience or perseverance is the product of your faith being tested.  

Love, joy, peace, patience.  In this post, I've basically claimed one and two.  Without going into detail right now, the biggest ongoing trials in my life are still very much present, but my spirit is at peace.  There is still pain, uncertainty, and periodical flutters of anxiety, but I am more at peace now than I have been in a very long time.  And lastly, I feel as though my joy has had a radical effect on my patience with my kids.  It's amazing where the path of each perspective can take you, isn't it?  Believe me, when joy is nowhere in sight for me, I am the farthest thing from the person I want to and am called to be.

I may sound boring to you now, but I want to add one more bit.  This afternoon, my hubby left for work and he called me just a minute after the garage door shut behind him.  He told me how enjoyable the morning had been for him.  He emphasized how much of ME influenced his tone for the day.  I told him I felt the same way.  I love that I am blessing him on top of feeling blessed, myself.  The lesson is learned.  Choose joy if I want to continue this positive rippling effect for my own spirit and in how I affect others.  

Hmm, tough choice.       


Isaiah 55:12
You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; 
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.










1 comment:

  1. Love this. Love Isaiah. Love top-down convertibles in sun. Love you. Love Jesus. What joy.

    ReplyDelete