Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Child Training Bible



In my last post I made a reference to our new Child Training Bible, and several friends have asked about it.  Here's a little explanation.

I can't take the credit!  A friend in our church's Moms Together group stumbled upon this product and posted it on our facebook page.  Another mom was going to order and discovered that a group discount applied if you got enough kits.  I think the cost was around $7.00!  So I jumped on the bandwagon.

In addition to the kit, you need a Bible - obviously.  Scott and I made a date of picking one out at Barnes & Noble.  We struggled with choosing what translation we wanted and other options Bibles have now.  We've been really happy so far with the English Standard Version, large print (and it just happened to be the perfect size!).  It was a little pricey, but we saw this as an investment as it has become our special family Bible.  You also need the highlighters and post its that they recommend.  

Then you sit down with all of your supplies and for several evenings (in my experience) look up verse after verse and highlight and tab them.  It takes AWHILE.  But once you're done - WOW!  Such a fabulous resource. 

The idea is that popular heart issues are categorized with corresponding verses that address each.  Let's say a child is struggling with complaining.  You have several references tabbed and highlighted that are specific to the tongue, thankfulness, etc.  All of these topics (some others include tattling, anger, not listening, defiance, pride...) that you are likely to deal with, are broken down so you can look things up with ease.  Is this tool absolutely necessary?  No.  I have a book about training your kids through Scripture.  It basically does the same thing, listing out topics and verses that address each.  But that book is an outside source.  I would constantly have to refer to that book.  And it lists out the Scripture which is nice, but then my kids don't see us literally looking in the Bible for wisdom and answers.  With this kit, they do.  And that's what I love about it.

If you're like me and want the Bible to be your go-to tool for parenting but you don't have the memory skills to think of many applicable verses on the spot, this makes it easy.  I highly recommend it!  If you are interested, you can read more about it and order your own from the website in the picture. :D

(Cornerstone ladies, if any of you read this and have also done the CTB, you should comment about your thoughts/experience with it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment