Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thanksgiving Cliff Notes


People are beginning their "20-something days of Thanksgiving" on facebook now.  It isn't likely that I would keep up with it, but that doesn't mean I don't think about it constantly - all throughout the year, actually.  So I'll just mention some of my favorites:

Gosh, I love my husband.  I have a deep, deep love for him that I never thought possible, and I haven't seen anywhere else.  And I have seen some major love stories lived out, but ours is my favorite. :)  I am thankful for how much trust he has in me - in my decision-making, how the Lord moves me, in how I am with the kids, using my talents, carrying out all of my responsibilities... He doesn't micromanage me.  He helps me, motivates me, serves me, is a real team player, and CHERISHES me.  Beyond salvation, he is my favorite gift in this world!!  I am thankful for our marriage that we have been blessed with and striven towards together, even before it began.

I am thankful for our children.  It sounds cliche, but yes, they make me literally pull my hair out.  They rub me the wrong way, don't listen, whine, and are a bunch of - well, immature kids.  Then there are the moments that stun my heart.  Moments when I look at him or her and see a completely joyful spirit or the simplicity of life, love, and trust.  Moments during a time of prayer, a conversation, when they sing along to worship music in the car, or ask me questions about heaven and Jesus, when they dance together, chase each other with giant giggles, or tell me that they love me "super much" and that I'm the best mommy in the whole world.  When these once-upon-a-time babies who were completely dependent on me but now are developing their own styles, desires, talents, and personalities... the colossal reality of my love for them and recognizing what blessings they are to me hits me right between the eyes.  Without them, I would not have the (still very lacking) understanding and empathy of God's love for His children.  I have grown in grace and forgiveness - for myself especially - because I have the honor of raising up my little five-person army for the Lord.  I am thankful for the trials, laughs, and joys we share as a family.  I am also thankful for their adorable faces being assigned to me. ;)

I am thankful for our health, home, comfort, freedoms, fun experiences, church, having choices, faithful friends, and family.  I am thankful for a car, plenty of clothes, luxuries like a dishwasher, cell phone, washing machine and dryer.  I am thankful for a microwave, oven, refrigerator, a stocked pantry.  I'm thankful for medicine, ear plugs, a toothbrush, cold water, and soap.  You think I'm getting too nit-picky or silly?  I just went to a third world country!  I only just got started.  I know I don't always have a spirit of gratitude, but it's something I try to practice.  I could expound on each of these listed, but I do need some sleep.  So I will head to bed soon in my very comfortable, warm bed that I'm extremely thankful for as well!

God, my favorite "thing" to thank You for is choosing and using me.  I'm just me.  But You see what I'm going to be - what You are making me into - and You choose to use me how I am.  Used to bless others, to share who You are, to be Your partner in work...  I am dumbfounded.  There is no greater honor.  I get to have an intimate partnership with the Creator of the Universe, and He really likes talking with me too!

My life verse is I Thess. 5:16-18.  I really do love Thanksgiving - giving thanks; I promise.  ;)  

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment