Friday, December 16, 2011

ADVENTure: Days 13, 14, 15, 16

Woooo!  I've tried to keep these posts coming pretty regularly so I wouldn't have to blog a week's worth of activities in one day.  But I couldn't really help it this time.  This week has been a crazy blur as I have had commitments taking me out of the house every night, Scott's and my wedding anniversary, and it was the time my body decided to give up on health and succumb to the family's cold.  Ah, but the good Lord knew this would be a tough week, and somehow the activities were arranged in a way in which we could handle. 

Starting with Day 13, we actually added an extra ADVENTure activity.  You're probably laughing since I just wrote that things were already crazy.  Oh well.  This was too good to pass up.  My mother-in-law, Kathy, works with severely physically and/or mentally disabled kids at a nearby high school.  My kids have had several opportunities to spend time in Grandma's classroom as special circumstances arise.  And I love that.  I love that they are getting over any fears or discomfort that society accepts and expects around these individuals.  I love that they are having fun, practicing patience, and showing compassion towards them.  I love that the classroom kids get to giggle and play with mine as well, taking them on "walks" or rides on their wheelchairs, enjoying puzzles, chasing them around.  This is an awesome resource I have in my back pocket, and I am so grateful that Kathy's best friend and boss welcomes my family into the class whenever!  On Tuesday, the lovely boss lady, Lynn, asked me and the kids to help the class make peppermint cake pops.  I've really enjoyed doing these delightful little treats several times this past year, so I was eager to help.  All the kids and staff were able to participate in each step.  It looked like they had a great time, and the cake pops turned out amazing too!

 Puzzles before we start "popping"

 Ball rolling time!

 Hayden is eager and ready for the next step

 Assistant Doreen and CJ


 CJ investigated every part of the classroom

Break time: game on Grandma's phone
 Assistant Carol helps me finish them up

 Gracie helps with the sprinkling

 Pretty Peppermint Pops!

 More playing

 Noah chased this student, repeatedly attacking him with a cow puppet.  
They both had a blast and were adorable to watch.


Okay, so that was our extra activity.  Luckily, the scheduled one was short and sweet.  Literally.  We enjoyed candy canes together and talked about their meaning: the J for Jesus, the shepherd's staff, red and white stripes.  All the theology and symbolism might be over their heads, but they enjoyed the treat part! 



Cute little goobers.


Love Levi's Popeye look!
 Please excuse the near nudity. =)

 "Moooom, got any more???"

And then it was Day 14: our anniversary!  (These are the pancakes my husband made for me that I mentioned in an earlier post...)  Preschool, a last minute trip to Kaiser, a women's dessert at church that I was a part of in the evening... BUSIEST day of the week.  Grandpa got to take over as "ADVENT activity director."



 Grandpa reads off, "Watch a Christmas movie!"  The kids were so excited, and I was thankful and thrilled that we didn't have to miss a day.  The plan was to watch "A Muppet's Christmas Carol," but the kids reported the next morning that they had watched several Christmas movies.  HAHA.  Shocker.
(Thank you, Grandpa and Uncle Johnny, for babysitting during the women's dessert!)

 Day 15:  The final "Surprise a family with a special blessing" activity.




 Noah and Gracie help with the baking.  Hayden finishes up the drawing for our friends.
 Another personal favorite: orange coconut bread!

 My good friend, Rachelle, wasn't home (she happened to be out blessing 
another friend with dinner.  SO typical of her), so Mr. B had to accept our goodies.


Day 16:  Today was "Make a Christmas craft."  It is Part 1 of 2 for one of our activities.  I decided to spoil it for my kids (telling them on Day 15) 
so we could invite our local cousins to join in the fun!  Several cousins came to the "Cousins' Christmas Craft" - may be a new tradition?  
Afterward, we enjoyed cocoa and special treats. 

 We'll be doing something later on with the first craft, but the second one was for the cousins to take home.

Can I just say that I love Oriental Trading? Awesome crafts for our preschoolers!

Daddy helps Carter feel "included."

 Thank you for your help, Auntie Manda!
  We're so glad you could come!

 Lots of stickers to peel

 "The Story of the 3 Christmas Trees"

 Silly Livvie



Hayden and Anne-Marie are very proud of their trees so far.

 Sheeeeesh!  He's too much cuteness!!!!!


 Showing off their take home craft

 Clearly someone wants to move on to the treat portion of the day!

 Yummy drinks and treats (and very chocolatey faces for some)


Exhale...  I am noticing that even though having a pre-planned activity to do with the kids each day is making December seem a little longer and more tiresome, I am enjoying it just as much as I hoped I would.  AND SO ARE THE KIDS.  Christmastime or not, we have looked forward to the intentional time and activities with each other.  In my world full of laundry piles, dishes, diapers, menu planning, preschool, church, time with friends and family, and multiple to do checklists, sometimes I get to the end and can't remember whether or not I played with my children that day.  This is the balance I will continue to learn throughout my life.  Those mom, wife, citizen, and church member roles and responsibilities won't go away, but I understand that time is flying and whisking these children closer and closer to the door.  Fun times like these are a must.  It may not happen everyday!  No, let's be realistic.  It WON'T happen everyday.  But after our final ADVENTure day is completed, I am going to be craving time with my little ones, just as I should be.  

Once again, I love this ADVENTure and what it is inspiring me to be and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment