Sunday, December 11, 2011

eight was not as great

Well, it was bound to happen at some point.  One that probably won't be repeated... 
On day eight, my idea for our activity was to read a book about why we give gifts for Christmas and to help Mommy wrap a few for other people.  I consider this one a failure for several combined reasons.  May be it's because my own heart is wrestling over the gifts concept (visit A Holy Experience to read more about a radical point of view); may be it's because the book we read was really weak in its explanation of gift giving, and I didn't even agree with it really; may be it's because I waited too long in the day, and my exhaustion got the best of my patience.  I was alone that night and I remembered too late that Levi and Carter definitely had to sit this one out.  Wrapping paper, toys for the cousins, scissors, tape... uh uh.  Not going there with the littler guys.  So I had to put those guys down for bed before even beginning the wrapping "fun". 
Imagine two 4-yr.old boys and one 3-yr. old girl hanging out with the cousins' presents and me asking them not to play with them or try to open up the packaging.  Yeah, that went over really smoothly.  After a few sharp reminders and gentle threats, they started to focus.  They each got a turn to wrap one and I finished up with the most oddly shaped one.  We gauged how much paper was needed, Noah and Hayden got to cut it, and each got to put the tape down to secure things.  If anything, I liked that they had a gift-wrapping lesson.  I realized how many boys grow up not knowing how to do this well (thinking of poor Uncle Matt here - wink).  So I just didn't feel like this activity had the impact I was hoping for.  I'm okay with that.  All of these activities will be up for tweaking next year anyway! 





Noah gets to add Mary to our Nativity scene.



Unfortunately before we had finished, Mr. Noah's attitude and listening challenges got him sent to bed.  (Yet another reason Day 8 was not a favorite).  So here are the two that remained, very proud of their wrapping accomplishments. 



Just before putting the presents away, I caught Hayden rearranging them.  He exclaimed to Gracie and me with glee, "Look! It's a pattern! Next would be stripes and then snowflakes again over here" (pointing at their positions down the line)... 

No comments:

Post a Comment