Tuesday, December 13, 2011

ADVENTure: Days 9 and 10


I try to plan the "big" ones (extra meaningful or additional hands appreciated) on days that Scott has off.  So on Day 9, we went to San Francisco's Pier 39.  This tradition started a few years ago with my mom, aka Grandma Debbi.  She loves Christmas in the City and wanted the kids to enjoy the lights, trees, and other sights just as she did as a child with her grandparents.  To commemorate the trip/year, she has each grandkid pick out an ornament.  This is an activity the kids cherish and talk about all year long.  We used to take BART (which added to the fun), but now with so many little ones, driving is the way to go.

 
The big kids get to eat at the counter. 

 Grandma and Levi


Grandma added something new to the evening!  She purchased Starbucks gift cards for each of the big kids to randomly bless a stranger as we walked around.  Got some fun reactions from people!  It's a little over their heads (and Mom and I agreed that it probably would be more appropriate in a less upscale part of the city), but it's still an act of generosity the kids were REALLY excited about being a part of.  I'm sure it will mean much more to them once they use their own earned money to bless the strangers also. 
Pictured above, Noah had chosen to bless the chef who prepared our dinners.
((Thank you for the thoughtful addition to the City fun, Grandma!))

 In awe at the crepe making window...

 They were thrilled to ride the "merry go round"!

 Cutie Carter doesn't know what he's missing yet.


 Patiently waiting for their turn.

 Blurry, but one with my smiley, blue-eyed boy, mini me.

 It was a beautiful, crisp night in the City!


 Three things I love about this picture:  the affection from Gracie to Carter of course, Carter's bubbly cheeks, and that adorable outfit he's wearing with the pom on his hood!

 After Daddy chased them up and down the walkways and everyone picked out their ornaments, they stopped for some Nutcracker smiles.

 Noah has been "practicing" holding Carter at home, so he got to help us out.  He did such a great job.

Grandma with 5 out of her 9 grandbabies.

 And this is why my husband usually doesn't take pictures...  
I thought that everyone knew when to zoom, how to frame faces... 
I need to give that man a few lessons. ;)

 His second attempt - a slight improvement.  

 Day 10: Sing Christmas carols along with Daddy playing guitar.

 After the late night in SF and naps being pushed aside due to visiting cousins, the kids were toast.  
It took some effort to keep a few of them awake. 

 I LOVE cousin Anne-Marie's passionate singing face here.  This kid is headed for theatrics - no joke. =)
It was a perfect activity for her and sister Jillian to join in!

 A Gracie silhouette

 My wonderfully involved husband, despite having a nasty cold

 This is right before Daddy required Noah to 
stand up since he was nodding off. HA!

Mr. Music Man, Hayden

 The carols were lulling Doodlebug to sleep

 Grandma Kathy LOVED being a part of this one!  It will only get better as more carols are learned.


At least Hayden is still paying attention... 

 Self portraits

The little rascal behind the tree...

During the carol time, we taught the kids "Little Drummer Boy."  Now whenever we are in the car or listening to music at home, they ask for the "Pa rum pum pum pum" song.  I actually never particularly cared for this song as a child, but I really appreciate the meaning of it now.  I think it's a perfect theme song for our ADVENTure.  It's like they are saying - - As kids, we don't have much to bring to you on your birthday, Jesus.  But what gifts you gave us we'll give back to you.  And when we serve you the best we can, in whatever way we can, you'll be smiling at our efforts and our hearts.

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment